Friday 31 May 2019

Choosing the Open Space


Not long now till Oxford Stanza II's return visit to Bonn. We have many exciting things planned, not least a reading at Anno Tubac and a mask making session with music and performance, as well as our usual workshops at the Arp Museum and plenty of opportunities for food and merriment.

Our theme for this visit is Toni Morrison's quote "I refuse the prison of I and choose the open space of we." Never have international links been so important.


The Creative Future workshops in Newcastle are coming to an end now and I shall miss working with everyone there, as well as miss the warmth and friendliness of the city itself. I keep saying I will treat myself to a leisurely visit there one day. Perhaps later in the year...

Creative Future workshops will begin in Norwich as from next month, and continue into July. Again, I shall be working with asylum seekers and chiefly younger people on this occasion. Where there are language difficulties, interpreters are often a help, but it is also true to say that when the desire to communicate is strong, the meeting ground of ideas is fertile with inventiveness. I have had conversations with people at bus stops when neither of us spoke a word of each other's language. One can always act out a verb and mime or draw a noun.


My last bit of news is a charity bike ride for Freedom From Torture. Some team members are doing the whole Hastings to Edinburgh trip. I'm afraid I only have time for the Oxford to Milton Keynes leg - a mere 40 miles. Do sponsor me - or sponsor any of the other team riders. One of them has only just learnt to ride a bike and she's doing 85 miles, I believe!

For those who don't know, Freedom From Torture is the only UK-based human rights organisation dedicated to the treatment and rehabilitation of torture survivors. Your donation could provide counselling, group therapy and ongoing support for them. It will help give someone hope and strength on their journey to recovery.












1 comment: